Friday, April 10, 2020

Sohorr ak Íŋyaŋ: 5 Reasons Why The Gambia is Underdeveloped



A seed grows without noise but a tree falls with a big noise. Destruction has noise but creation is silent. That is the power of knowledgeable people living in a country. The fastest way to become very knowledgeable in The Gambia, is to say nothing before you're sure you said something. Before you try to put out a wildfire on a mountain, go and ask the hunter how it started. How people naturally are, that's exactly the type of leader God chooses for them. But that can only be known and understood by those with wisdom - especially divine wisdom. It's only in the Gambia people celebrate you when you die and jealously fight you when you're alive - even if you did nothing to them. In The Gambia, I see public speakers who don't acknowledge people's words when they use them and don't give credits or quote them in their speeches. As if that's not enough: it is only in The Gambia you'll see people become writers for the sake of writing for 'presidential gains' or write for fame, - or see self-proclaimed journalists who know nothing about journalism.


If you want to see musicians who don't actually know music, rappers who don't make sense at all, comedians who can't make anyone laugh, and see people who always start what they cannot finish; come to The Gambia. In addition, in case you are looking for cabinet ministers who can't correctly address any public, leaders and directors without visions, The Gambia is the place for your research. Mind you, if you want to see women working in high offices they don't deserve at all, for example, if you're interested in seeing what happens the very moment one becomes a permanent secretary or a cabinet minister; the answer is: he immediately marries a second wife, or add more wives-- and forget his past. Why will people who can help you when you're alive wait until you die before they can buy you a bag of rice?


Do you know why The Gambia is underdeveloped? Because of these reasons:


1. Jealousy and Hatred,

2. Tribalism,

3. Hypocrisy and Pride;

4. Discrimination and;

5. Whom You Know.


Lessons to learn about The Gambia and Gambians: when Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara died, the entire country celebrated him, but ignored him when he was alive. In The Gambia, people always want to know your problem but will never help you solve them. They always want to know what you're up to so that they can destroy it. People you don't share the same school with never celebrate you because they always claim they don't know you. They don't succeed in what they are doing, and so, intend the same for those succeeding. Jobs are based on 'Whom You Know' and not what you know. Politics in The Gambia is based on tribalism ( tribal-politics). Gambians take too much pride but they never made it to the World Cup. The Wollof word 'Sohorr ak Íŋyaŋ'; which loosely translates in Mandinka as 'Haasidia ning Jaawya', are but the very reasons our country is underdeveloped.


It breaks my heart heartrendingly, it sources the rivulets of my eyes painstakingly, and it concerns me patriotically, whenever I see highly talented people wasting in The Gambia. Like I said in my poetry book ( Temple of Wisdom), if you go to a country where people eat in their eyes, don't eat with your nose. If the eye cannot see what the heart encounters, the mind knows best. Let me still take back my quotations: the secret of the mouth is best known by the chewing stick.


What else do I see with my silent eyes anytime I join public transport or go out, I see that what you study in school, and what you end up becoming, are not even the same In The Gambia. I see the River Gambia lacking fish and the turtles living on land. I see hard working men and women who are very poor but very respectful and religious. I even noticed that I see the sick curing those very well, I see potential youths who're jobless, I see teachers teaching our children satanism, and our education system dominated by foreign books and foreign teachers. Should I add that I also see married men and public officials sleeping around with young girls in hotels? Maybe, I should also mention married women sleeping around with men.


Ask me what else do I see? I see people mistake indecent dressing for awareness, such that a dress meant for the bedroom, will be worn and taken to the market. I see police officers who don't know the law, I see that the culture of peace, love and unity I left in my country four years ago, is not the same at all. I see the culture of silence-- and silence then became the culture. I see women raped and their rights violated. I see what's wrong being considered very right. And I see the blind leading the deaf, I see knowledgeable people who're silent with their wisdom, I see a nation without a fence and citizens driving around in the car of lost.


Finally, I realize that those we term knowledgeable don't know anything.


Gambians will only celebrate you when you die. I know people in relationships who love someone else but still in the same relationship. I know people who love each other but aren't meant to together.


So, my point is, everything in life happens according to the timing of God. Don't look at some of your friends and think that they're ahead of you. Maybe, some of them are only enjoying everything here and won't have absolutely nothing at all in the life Hereafter.




 Hope you learn something from this bitter-truth?


© All Rights Reserved! Thank you for reading and following my blog. Should you wish to use any of my articles for research, lectures, personal use, etc., kindly address your message to: modoulaminsowe1@hotmail.com. My special wishes for you!


To schedule or book me for public lectures/ book launches/ conferences/ readings/ script-writing/ keynote/motivational speaking events, please email:


 modoulaminsowe1@hotmail.com



Copying any of my articles without a written permission to, is an infringement of Copyright.

3 comments:

  1. You said something that pictured in my eyes like I'm seeing the scene acting. When I sat with my grandma about her past, I learned Gambia of yesterday. Looking at the country today, I knew that "Gambia lost it all." We're in darkenss.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Man with No Friends

In the silence of the night, I weep For a life that seems so steep No friends to call my own Just enemies disguised in a friendly tone This ...