Monday, November 27, 2023

Honeymoon (Poem by Modou Lamin Age-Almusaf Sowe)


Disclaimer: Modou Lamin Age-Almusaf Sowe doesn't own this picture, and permission is therefore sought from the copyright owner.

Note: The lady in the picture is nothing to Modou Lamin Age-Almusaf Sowe apart from a friend.


We met immediately the rain stopped beating
Pompously across the Bertil Harding Highway
And the stagnant waters gathered on the road
To confidently discuss national problems...

I became your problem
When I splashed a colorful of lovely
Waters on you accidentally;
My heart stopped beating in my chest.

I apologized to you in Spanish
Ashamed and nervous;
You looked at me twice
And I looked away in hesitation.

I feel like putting a knife in my throat
And slice myself into pieces for you.
I regretted my actions and inactions
And I displayed my shame on MBC Action.
  
Dressed in African-Gambian
Purple bazin riz,
Glittering in your natural beauty
Without make-up,
Waiting for a car to pick you up,
That evening, the Ramadan departed for Jerusalem
To pay homage to the Jews.

Just like a thief escaping from stealing,
Your shoelaces fit my shoes.
Hot body, everything looks perfect like a painting.
You mute my emotions.
 
 
My instincts told me to apologize in Chinese
But destiny told me to speak of humanity
When weakness became my language.
I sigh away from eye contact
And I gave you my contact.

Looking at your toes
When I said sorry regretfully,
Biting my nails and shaking in my trembles
My nervousness donating me blood
For my heart failures.
 
Friendship grew between us
With time, we set the pace.
On the phone and in space,
It took me so long to write this poem.

Walking down the beach
With our heads bow down;
I can't look at what you can't look at in me.
Our hands are observing social distancing.
Even a car could fit between us.
I sweated a gallon of smiles.
Wanting to tell you
How I feel
 
When the keys to the door of your singleness opened
The padlocks broken,
The shops of Serrekunda market wide opened 
Proposing to you in broad daylight
Sighing from the afternoon,
Little do you know
The date lied on the calendar.

The day I put a ring in your finger
The sky tasted ginger
Kneeling before you
Humbling myself on my knees
Angels announcing our marriage up in the skies
I couldn't sleep that night
I cut myself but couldn't bleed
The sexual healing...
That feeling
When the pastor said,
"You may now kiss the bride"
I kissed all the bridesmaids
When we locked lips.
 
Waking up in Dubai
Making your breakfast
Touring the Palm hotel
And naming our kids Paul, George,
and George-Paul.
I woke up in New York City 
Looked at myself in bed
And realized it was a dream.


 © All Rights Reserved! Thank you for reading and following my blog. Should you wish to use any of my articles for research, lectures, personal use, etc., kindly address your message to: modoulaminsowe1@hotmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww such an interesting piece. 😀 But I found myself in the Dreamland when I reached at the end of the piece.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Man with No Friends

In the silence of the night, I weep For a life that seems so steep No friends to call my own Just enemies disguised in a friendly tone This ...